Sunday, December 13, 2009

Muffins and Tamales



What a better way to spend a Sunday than with cooking, family, friends, football and EATING! After running around with going to the gym, getting a pleasant Santa Lucia greeting from our dear friend Vanessa and picking up some fruit at the North Park Farmers Market, I headed over to my mom's house for some good ol' Mexican tamale making. Starting a new family tradition is always fun and adventurous, as we have little clue on how to perfect the tamale, but with many hands in slathering the masa, scooping meat and folding the husks, we knew that we were creating memories. It wasn't as difficult as we assumed it would be and we definitely over estimated how much masa we were going to need. In the background, we watched the Chargers defeat the Cowboys triumphfully. Tyson and I left my mom's house with 9 dozen tamales to eat for Christmas and the year to come! .....and no we will not share!

Alex scooping, Mom monitoring her folding

A whopping 18 dozen!!!!!

Slapping the masa on the corn husks

Erika and I busy at work!

I also found another favorite muffin recipe for the left over pumpkin puree that I have been hoarding in my fridge. With chocolate chips and some spice, these muffins are irresistible. They go perfect with a hot cup of decaf (with soy, of course!) in the morning. Cannot wait until tomorrow morning for some more muffin indulgence!

2 comments:

  1. Zero comments?! Well, I'll be the first! I love your blog and I think this is an awesome way to track all of your pregnancy moments. The one thing I notice the most about all of these posts, (besides how fantastic you look!) is the fact that you are genuinely enjoying every moment. The good and the bad, total bliss. I'm truly happy for you and Tyson, and baby too of course! I can't wait to meet him! Love you all a billion, trillion, kajillion.
    <3 EO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tamales! Yum! Every time I read your blog I get hungry. I'm really enjoying the photos and keeping up this way. Didn't realize I could respond too. Looking forward to being in your neighborhood. Hugs

    ReplyDelete