Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Holy Mole and Pizza

Tyson and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE going out to eat at some of our favorite restaurants...and if you know us, we have PLENTY on our "must have" list. We tend to go somewhere based on our cravings (and believe it or not, Tyson is the one with INSANE cravings) and based on location. Last night was our first venture out to the newly dubbed "street scene" 30th on 30th in North Park. It is a great way for 30th Street North Park restaurants to feature their specialty items at discount prices on the 30th of every month . Some pubs offer $3 pints of local beers, or you can get street tacos for 2 bucks, etc. 30th Street is a foodies dream! You can get farm-to-table food at Urban Solace and Linkery, Veggie Dogs at Toronado, delectable desserts at Heavenly Desserts, and finger-licking-good mole at Cantina Mayahuel. Our top pick? MOLE!

Cantina Mayahuel is a Yucatecan inspired restaurant that is known for their mole that consists of about 30 ingredients, tequilas and daily specials--including Paella. Their outside seating is perfect for summer afternoons and can be pure heaven when a bucket of beer, chips and salsa and live Mexican music is added. It is a small restaurant, but with the open kitchen and decorative interior, there is plenty to look at. Tyson and I, in honor of the 30th on 30th, ordered the $2 chicken mole tacos and a side of chips and salsa. With the first bite, Tyson and I were speechless. Even Max couldn't keep quite! He is rolled around ferociously as I gobbled the taco down in two bites. We were pleasantly surprised. I wish I had brought my camera with me to document this glorious plate of goodness, but I did snap some on our visit a few months ago......

Our next stop (because you know Tyson and I NEVER just stop at one restaurant....some people bar hop, we restaurant hop!) was Blind Lady Ale House. And can I pre-promote that this place is KID FRIENDLY and we will make it our weekly stop once Max arrives ( I mean, what more can you ask for? Rare and exceptional beer list, healthy and organic pizza, long family style picnic tables....!!!) On this night, we ordered a duck confit salad, lightly tossed in a sweet, olive oil dressing. It was garnished with kumquats, crisp green beans, and beets....all farmers market fresh. For our main course (or dessert) we devoured a four cheese pizza with Swiss chard and anchovies (yes, the last two items were my request) Drizzled with truffle oil and lightly salted from the 'chovies, the pizza was BEYOND what we anticipated. We left giddy and with full bellies. Again, I do not have pictures from this fine event, but I do have pix from the past.


With our night out, I realized just how important our time with each other, as a two-person family, really is. In a few weeks, our focus will not be on what WE wanna do, but what Max will allow us to do. One piece advice that we hold close to our hearts is to enjoy our time now. And at Blind Lady and Cantina Mayahuel, we indulged ourselves incredibly. Will this all stop once our little guy arrives? Probably not.....we will just have to wait and see!



No comments:

Post a Comment